Forging Foundation News May 2022
Join your forging Industry colleagues on the golf course for the FIA Forging Foundation (FIERF) Annual Golf Outing on August 23, 2022. 100% of your golf registration fee will be donated to FIA's Forging Foundation (FIERF) to fund student scholarships and educational research projects.
This year’s outing will take place at Firestone Country Club South Course located in Akron, OH - 40 minutes south of downtown Cleveland. Firestone Country Club carries the presence of incredible golf history. From the first tournament hosted there in 1954 to the PGA and SPGA's long relationship with the club, notable champions like Tommy Bolt, Arnold Palmer and Tom Nieporte all staked their claim to fame on Firestone's famous courses, bunkers and fairways. Noted for its length, the par 70, 7,783-year South Course includes a series of intimidating, long par-4 holes and one of the longest par 5s anywhere.
Thank you to our sponsors:
Sponsorships and branding opportunities are available. If you would like to become a FIERF Golf Outing Sponsor please complete the Sponsorship Form.
Contact Amanda Dureiko at [email protected] if you have any questions about the Forging Foundation Golf Outing.
Does Your Company Have Internships Available?
The Forging Foundation will be awarding the Al Underys Engineering, Metallurgical & Material Sciences Memorial Scholarship to students for the 2022-2023 school year and scholarship recipients will be matched with an FIA member company to complete an internship.
Let us know if your company has internships available or will have internships available in the future. Internship positions will also be shared with additional students and schools FIERF is partnered with.
Send internship opportunities to Amanda Dureiko at [email protected].
Meet the Newest Members of the FIERF Board of Trustees
Manager of Market Development - Fives North American Combustion, Inc.
President - Trenton Forging
Vice President of Engineering & Continuous Development - Finkl Steel
Vice President & Chief Technology Officer – Universal Stainless & Alloy Products, Inc.
Kester Clarke, Associate Professor at Colorado School of Mines has been appointed President of FIERF and Ashleigh Walters, President at Onex has been appointed Vice President of FIERF.
A special thank you to the trustees who have completed their terms. We are very grateful for your support and time that you have given throughout the years.
- Robert Brodhead – American Axle & Manufacturing
- Gregory J. Heim - Modern Forge Indiana LLC
- Louis-Philippe Lapierre – Finkl Steel Sorel
The Forging Foundation Announces a New Executive Director
The Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF) is excited to announce the promotion of Angela Gibian to Executive Director. Angela will serve as the Executive Director of FIERF as well as continue in her role as the Director of Marketing & Events for FIA.
Angela has been with the Forging Industry Association for three years, leading the planning and execution of the organizations trainings, workshops, events and conferences, including Forge Fair and the International Forging Congress. In her role as Director of Marketing and Events, she also is responsible for all marketing and promotional efforts, including web content, eblasts and social media. She also serves as Managing Editor of FIA Magazine.
We look forward to having Angela be a part of leading the foundation where she can use her experience to help create awareness and expose more students to the forging industry and develop our future workforce!
You can contact Angela Gibian at [email protected] or call 216-781-6260.
FIERF Grants Funding of Nine New Research Projects
The Technology Committee and FIERF Board of Trustees have reviewed the research grant requests and are pleased to announce the following projects have been approved for funding.
- Non-metallic Inclusion Evolution During Vacuum Processing of Steel - Carnegie Mellon University
- Investigation of Decarburization of Steel on Forgings - Cleveland State University
- Benchmarking Ergonomic Issues in the Forging Industry - Cleveland State University
- Fabrication of Forging Preforms by Additive Manufacturing Methods - Cleveland State University
- Digital Twin for Metal Forging Using Open-source Software: Application to Bulk Temperature Control - Colorado School of Mines
- Wire-arc Additive Manufacturing for Forging Dies - Georgia Southern University
- Improvements of H13 Forging Tool Life Through TiC Reinforced Inconel 6 - Lehigh University
- In Situ X-ray Capabilities for Forging Studies - Pennsylvania State University
- Predicting Site-Specific Microtexture During Forging of Ti-6Al-4V - University of Florida
For more information on current and past FIERF funded research projects, please contact Amanda Dureiko at [email protected].
Forging Foundation 2022 Silent Auction
FIERF held its Annual Silent Auction at the Annual Meeting of Members in Dana Point, CA this past April.
With 34 items donated, the Silent Auction raised over $20,000 which will help fund more opportunities to engage students through curriculum, experiential learning, and scholarships to pursue careers in the forging supply chain. Thank you to everyone who made the Silent Auction such a success!
· Trenton Forging
· Sharon Haverstock
· Modern Forge Indiana
· The Ulven Companies
· Saint Kate Hotel
· Adaptec Solutions
· Colorado School of Mines
· Moline Forge
· Ellwood City Forge Group
· Universal Stainless
· Keystone Forging & Hopkins Fishing Gear
· Forging Equipment Solutions
· Forge Resources Group
· Pacific Forge
· Eaton Steel Bar Company
· Weber Metals
· Campbell Press Repair
· Cleveland Hardware & Forging
· Pinehurst Resort & Country Club
· Ellwood Quality Steels
· Alton Steel
· Scot Forge
· Jade-Sterling Steel
Thank you to all of the new and continued supporters of the Forging Foundation. We couldn’t continue to do what we do with out the generous support from you!
We invite you to partner with the Forging Foundation. A partnership with the Forging Foundation means you will help develop our future workforce!
- Visit our website at org to learn more about workforce development and research activities
- Email [email protected] with your Forging Foundation workforce development success stories (tours, interns, research)
If you are interested in learning more about the Forging Foundation and the workforce development programming that we do, contact Amanda Dureiko at [email protected] or 216-781-6260.