Forging Foundation News March 2023
Two Weeks Left to Apply!
Undergraduate and graduate students interested in the forging industry can apply for scholarships through the Forging Foundation’s three scholarship programs.
- Charles W. Finkl Scholarships- The Finkl Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship awarded to college juniors and seniors majoring in metallurgical, materials, chemical, computer, electrical or industrial engineering at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Forging Industry Women’s Scholarship– The Women’s Scholarship awards up to $5,000 scholarships to full-time graduate and undergraduate women seeking a professional associate’s, bachelor’s or master’s degree studying the fields of engineering or business.
- The Al Underys Engineering, Metallurgical & Material Sciences Memorial Scholarship- A $2,500 scholarship available to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a degree in engineering. Scholarship recipients are asked to complete an internship with an FIA member company after receiving the award.
Deadline for all materials to be received is April 13, 2023. Recipients will be announced in June.
Don’t forget to pass this information along to students and interns!
Forging Summer Camp!
Do you know any kids aged 11-15 that are hands-on learners?
The Forging Foundation is hosting a summer camp where students will have the opportunity to tour a forging facility, participate in STEAM and team building activities, and learn how to forge. Plus, campers will get to take home their own forging!
The goal of Forge the Future Camp is to…
- Expose students to manufacturing and the forging industry at a young age.
- Engage kids in hands on activities related to STEM, and more specifically - the forging industry.
- Create memorable experiences for children in your community.
- Educate both kids and their families about manufacturing careers.
- Build the future of forging and keep the industry strong for the next generation!
REGISTRATION FEE: $75
Breakfast and lunch will be provided. Campers will need their own transportation to and from camp.
Click the button below to download and complete the camp registration form.
Limited sponsorship opportunities are available. Click here to download partnership information.
Other ways to get involved:
- Supply equipment or materials for camp activities.
- Share information about camps with your employees and clients.
Forge Fair Career Day
Forge Fair Career Day is happening again at Forge Fair 2023 on Thursday, May 25th. Students and Educators can register for the discounted academic rate of $50 and explore the forging industry, learn about co-ops and internships, and meet with potential employers. Students are encouraged to bring their resumes with them to hand out to potential employers during their time at the show. FIA will provide a list of students with contact information to all FIA Member exhibitors following the event.
Please note: This is a one-day pass for Thursday, May 25. If you are interested in attending the full trade show, you must register at the regular attendee rate. This pass is for students and educators only. You must be enrolled or employed at a technical school, college or university. To register as a standard attendee, or for all three days of the event, click here: https://www.forging.org/attendees-registration.
Save the Date
FIERF Annual Golf Outing
Join us on August 22, 2023 at Firestone Country Club for the Third Annual FIERF Golf Outing.
The outing will take place at Firestone Country Club’s South Course located in Akron, OH - 40 minutes south of downtown Cleveland. Firestone Country Club carries the presence of incredible golf history. From the first tournament hosted here in 1954 to the PGA and SPGA's long relationship with the club, notable champions like Tommy Bolt, Arnold Palmer and Tom Nieporte all staked their claim to fame on Firestone's famous courses, bunkers and fairways. These spectacular golf courses are sure to draw you into their historic mystique as you wind your way around the beautifully arranged holes. Noted for its length, the par 70, 7,783-year South Course includes a series of intimidating, long par-4 holes and one of the longest par 5s anywhere.
100% of your golf registration fee will be donated to FIA's Forging Foundation (FIERF) to fund student scholarships and educational research projects.
Registration and sponsorships will be available soon.
NEW! Women in Forging Mentorship Program
The Forging Foundation Mentorship Program’s primary goal is to promote the development of leadership roles for women in the forging industry.
This mentorship program will tap into the existing knowledge, skills, and experience of successful women in leadership positions who are currently working in the forging industry and transfer that knowledge and skill to the upcoming industry workforce while helping them move towards successful careers in leadership of their own.
Why Mentorship is Important
Mentorship is a valuable tool to build a successful career or gain solid footing within an organization or industry. Many great achievers have claimed that they had a great mentor at some point during their rise to excellence. Mentorship is a two-way process. But if it works the way it is meant to, both the mentor and mentee will benefit from the experience. The mentor benefits because they can lead the future generation in an area they care about and ensure that best practices are passed along; meanwhile, the mentee benefits because they have proven that they are ready to take the next step in their career and can receive the extra help needed to make that advancement.
Interested in becoming a mentor? Please complete the Mentor Application Form below and send it to Gabby Schultz at [email protected].
Looking for a mentor? Please complete the Mentee Application Form and send it to Gabby Schultz at [email protected].
Mentors and mentees will be paired up by the Forging Foundation staff using the information provided on the above applications. Once paired, both parties will be asked to sign the “Mentoring Agreement.”
Thank you to all of the new and continued supporters of the Forging Foundation. We couldn’t continue to do what we do with out the generous support from you!
We invite you to partner with the Forging Foundation. A partnership with the Forging Foundation means you will help develop our future workforce!
- Visit our website at org to learn more about workforce development and research activities
- Email [email protected] with your Forging Foundation workforce development success stories (tours, interns, research)
- Give a gift of support to help fund the programming that the Forging Foundation provides to develop our future workforce
If you are interested in learning more about the Forging Foundation and the workforce development programming that we do, contact Amanda Dureiko at [email protected] or 216-781-6260.